Flying Business class with British Airways and being dairy free

I was very lucky to fly business class with British Airways to start our American adventure. Now, I am lucky in that I have flown long haul on several occasions previously. Each time I dread the meal times as more often than not I can’t eat the food. It is not uncommon for me to be given gluten free instead of dairy free or contains milk. As a result I always assume that I can’t eat the food and take a large supply of goodies with me to eat on the plane. I checked the menu for a flight and none of the choices available were suitable as they all contained milk. I was a tad disappointed as I had secretly hoped that I wouldn’t have to order a special meal. So I pre ordered my meal not knowing what I would get. I made sure that I made the most if the business lounge having a large breakfast so that I wouldn’t be hungry on the flight. It didn’t take long for the meals to be served. Normally mine always comes before everyone else’s, not on this flight. It came at the same time. I didn’t expect much. I asked what it was and checked that it was indeed dairy free. It was and to my disappointment the crew didn’t know. The first course came which I assumed was my main meal, but no there was more to come. I greeted by chicken on a green purée with a side salad. It turned out to be a cold chicken breast on avocado. The texture from the chicken breast went well with the smoothness from the avocado. The salad was fresh and crispy, the oil dressing added the little extra. I was struggling and this was only the starter.
image
image
image
Onto the main course. I think this was cod, although I could have been wrong. This was accompanied by picked vegetables which I think we’re carrots and fennel, a tomato and a green mash. I have no idea what the mash was. I really enjoyed the pickled vegetables as this mad a nice change. The fish was ok. It’s flavour was pretty non descript and it was slightly dry in textures as if it had been overdone. I’m afraid I didn’t like the green mash, what ever it was. It was smooth with intermittent lumps and I don’t think we’re meant to be there. I much preferred my starter and I’m afraid it just didn’t seem to compare to everyone else’s main meal.
image
Onto to dessert I had high hopes for this. Please don’t let it be fruit. I always get fruit and this is not a pudding. I got a jelly with a few berries scattered in it. I had hoped for more but hey ho. The jelly was light and refreshing but l just couldn’t work out its flavour sadly. We then got our post meal tea or coffee. This was a bog standard stewed black tea for me. Where was the Twinings tea that I had read about? A real disappointment.
image
The time soon arrived for afternoon tea. Everyone had finger sandwiches and scones with jam and cream. What would mine be? A pre packed tuna and mayonnaise roll with fruit kebabs. I know it’s not easy catering for food allergies / intolerances but it just didn’t compare. It’s not hard to source free from cakes instead of fruit. My roll was ok, it was dry with a reasonable filling and crumbled as I ate it. My fruit kebabs were nice but not the same a proper cake / scone. As for the tea I politely declined the bog standard tea and asked for mint which is what I got.
image
image
image
image
In summary it is the best food that I have been offered on a plane. What I would suggest is that crew should know what the food is, so that you can enjoy the experience like everyone else. I personally like to know what I am going to eat. I would also like a proper dessert to enjoy not fruit or jelly. The Twinings tea on request is great for a tea addict like me. It should be openly offered like the alcoholic beverages you shouldn’t have to ask for it.

1. October 22, 2016 / 6:36 am

This is a great review. I’m not looking forward to aeroplane food when we do our big overseas trip!

• October 22, 2016 / 6:48 am

Hi Aimee,
      Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to read my review. I never looking forward to long haul flights with regards to eating. My tip is take a good amount of food to eat with lots of treats and have a good meal before you fly even if it’s early. This way I feel that I’ve had my main meal of the day, Chloe.

2. October 22, 2016 / 11:41 am

I think airline food is always a bit grim, one of the tortures of flying.

• October 22, 2016 / 9:30 pm

Hi, this is very true but my personal experience is that if you require a special diet it always seems to be worse. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, Chloe.

3. glutenfreelady
    October 22, 2016 / 5:45 pm

On my recent trip to Hawaii I looked over the special meals offered by Delta and declined. Having combination food intolerances made my shy away from trusting the airline. I brought my own food and managed to get by. I give you credit for trying the airline food!

• October 22, 2016 / 9:18 pm

Hi, I just had to try it as I normally travel premium economy and it was all part of the experience. I’m glad that I did. I don’t blame you taking your own food it’s difficult to just avoid mine, let alone several. Thanks for reading my review and taking the time to comment, much appreciated, Chloe.

• glutenfreelady
        October 23, 2016 / 6:21 pm

You’re welcome Chloe.

4. October 22, 2016 / 7:59 pm

For airplane food it looks good! I also bring my own food when I fly – most of the time they want to give me crackers, or candy.

• October 22, 2016 / 9:13 pm

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my review. It was good for plane food but could have been better. It’s always best to take your own to be safe. I’ve never been offered candy, Chloe.

5. October 30, 2016 / 1:41 am

I am so glad I found you! You reviews are very helpful, and I can truly relate to your experience with flight food. Imagine being dairy free AND kosher, and ordering food for a flight! Thank you, Chloe, for sharing!

• October 30, 2016 / 7:13 am

Hi, thank you for your kind comments much appreciated. I can’t imagine having to ask for multiple requests for plane food goodness knows what you might get! I hope that you manage to have something. No doubt you take your own pack up for the plane, Chloe.

• October 30, 2016 / 4:18 pm

Oh well, one day on protein bars never killed anybody, and I always carry a few, like Kind bars that are dairy free and kosher.

• October 30, 2016 / 4:21 pm

Yes I may had some Kind bars with me on my flight home 😊

6. October 31, 2016 / 2:41 am

Found you via the linkup via Suzie81speaks. I am enjoying your site and am now following you on twitter 🙂

• October 31, 2016 / 6:36 am

7. November 4, 2016 / 5:33 am

having experienced flights numerous times, both economy and business classes, i do think it always helps when one flies a class higher than the economy. one gets to have more choices. my recommendation is, if it is at all possible, the next time try an asian airline or a middle eastern airline. they tend to be able to serve better choices on non-dairy selections, as their cuisines tend to be dairy free in general.

• November 4, 2016 / 9:18 am

Hi, thank you so much for the tip. I shall have to use this as an excuse to have another holiday 😊.

8. November 14, 2016 / 5:39 pm

That looks like such a good treat! Also must be so nice to have good food on request 🙂 I agree though that tea should be offered just as much as alcohol! xx

sophieannetaylor.blogspot.co.uk