National Biscuit Shortage

image
When I woke up this morning I briefly read about the national biscuit shortage here in the UK. It caught my attention because it mentioned ginger nut biscuits. These are a back up to my normal favourites of bourbon biscuits. I didn’t think anymore of it. However, it is more serious than I thought. They seem to be disappearing quickly. Being dairy free I am restricted to the biscuits that I can safely enjoy. My favourite biscuits are bourbons. They are part of my weekly shop. I stock up and take them on all my holidays. I always eat them on a plane journey and when others are enjoying their cakes or treats out come my old faithful bourbons.

I wrote a previous post sharing the results of my research to find safe dairy free bourbons for me to enjoy. The only ones I found were Waitrose and Tesco’s own brand. Waitrose are my all time favourite. I popped into a local Tesco’s to stock but they had none. Next onto Waitrose, exactly the same.

Am I am going to have to resort to ebay and pay a fortune for my staple treats ? I have had them every week for as long as I can remember. I will feel lost without out them, this may seem strange to many, but they are my safe treat that I never tire of. If you have any safe alternative biscuits I can try please let me know. I would be really grateful, Chloe.

1. February 4, 2016 / 11:34 pm

Not bourbons but have you tried Lotus caramelised biscuits? The ones you sometimes get with a coffee/tea in cafes? They are in all the main supermarkets.

• February 5, 2016 / 6:48 am

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my post. Oh my goodness I forgot about these. Thank you. I haven’t had them for a while. I must get the spread as well for Shrove Tuesday. Time for me to hunt them down. Thanks again, Chloe.

2. February 5, 2016 / 12:31 am

Bourbon biscuits? You’d think that we’d have them here in Kentucky, but I never knew such a thing existed until I read your post just now. They do sound good! (I’m partial to ginger nut biscuits too…)

• February 5, 2016 / 6:44 am

Hi, thanks for time to read my post. They are a popular biscuit here in the UK, no alcohol involved. Maybe I need to pop over to grab some ginger nut biscuits to keep me happy, any excuse for a holiday 😊.

3. Glitter and Tea
    February 5, 2016 / 1:27 pm

Why is there a shortage of biscuits? Sorry, I don’t get news from the UK 🙂

• February 5, 2016 / 10:05 pm

Hi. Sadly, the factory where a lot of the biscuits get manufactured got flooded and damaged from a recent storm. This has led to the shortage of biscuits especially my beloved bourbon biscuits.

• Glitter and Tea
        February 5, 2016 / 10:07 pm

That’s such an interesting, yet sad, circumstance! Besides the shortage of biscuits, I hope no one was hurt. I love your blog, it’s like a little taste of culture with a blend of lactose free and healthy eating. ♡

4. February 5, 2016 / 11:24 pm

bourbons !! </3 hope they get back to business soon 🙂

• February 6, 2016 / 1:13 pm

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my post. Fingers crossed they will be back in business soon. I am already missing my bourbons with a nice cup of tea.

5. February 7, 2016 / 11:45 am

I don’t know how I haven’t heard about this! What are we supposed to dunk in our brews now?? Hopefully the crisis will avert soon!!

• February 7, 2016 / 11:57 am

Hi Jen. I am having rich tea biscuits instead, nice but not quiet the same. Oh and they don’t make great dunkers either.

• February 7, 2016 / 1:44 pm

I think that may have already happened.

6. February 10, 2016 / 4:40 am

Oh dear! The UK is the worst place for this to happen, we love our biscuits don’t we! I’ve moved to Singapore now, but I feel your pain!

• February 10, 2016 / 6:44 am

Hi Martha, thanks for taking the time for reading my post. Indeed it is. I personally didn’t realise how popular the bourbon biscuits were. I’ve yet to find an alternative that I really enjoy.

7. March 16, 2016 / 7:09 am

not sure if i ever had ‘bourbon cream’ biscuits before. i probably have, but just didn’t know what i had, as i’ve tried many biscuits. the other day, though, i was at marks and spencer and saw their bourbon cream biscuits. i didn’t get any, as i wasn’t sure. maybe i should give it a try the next time i’m at marks and spencer again.

• March 16, 2016 / 7:41 pm

Oh if you see bourbon creams in M & S you should give them a try. I’m sure you will like them, Chloe.