My quest to find dairy free bourbon biscuits

Those of you that follow my blog are aware that bourbon biscuits have been one of my staple sweet treats for a long time. I rely heavily on Waitrose own brand bourbon bidcuits as they are my favourite. Sadly, a recent experience has meant that I have had to do some investigative work to find out what alternatives are available. Here’s what I found so far…….
A visit to Sainsbury’s revealed two types of bourbon biscuits available. Both of which were Sainsbury’s own brand. Their normal bourbon biscuits and their own brand value bourbon biscuits. Sadly neither are an option if you follow a dairy and or lactose free diet as both state may contain milk.
image
image
A trip to the co-op found me on my knees looking to find the bourbon biscuits. They only had their own brand which said may contain traces of milk. So that ruled these out.
image
So the next step was online, for a quick hunt for my staple treats. Firstly, Asda. I don’t have a store local to me and have yet to try their online delivery service. A quick search on their website revealed 1 choice. Sadly, these were not an option.
imageimage
Next stop was Morrisons, again I do not have one local to me, but you can now order online so I thought I would take a peek at their website. As with Asda 1 option was available,their own brand. Sadly, not a suitable option either.
imageimageU
My final stop was the Iceland website. They only stocked the well-known Crawford’s bourbon biscuits. Sadly, not an option either.
image
In conclusion, it is proving difficult to find a safe alternative to what is one of my favourite staple sweet treats. I will continue to look just in case I happen to stumble across a suitable packet that I can enjoy. In the mean time it’s Waitrose and Tesco’s bourbon biscuits for me. If anyone out there has any great biscuit finds that are dairy free please let me know. I would love to give them a try. Thanks C 😊.

Disclaimer: The pictures from Asda, Morrison’s and Iceland have been used from their website.

1. m0dernm0nkey
    October 4, 2015 / 9:10 am

If you are sticking with Waitrose then I assume you are not allergic. Therefore the biscuits that say ‘MAY contain…’ Are dairy free but are produced in a factory that handles milk so they won’t guarantee it

• October 5, 2015 / 8:26 pm

Thank you I will take a look at the link.

2. October 4, 2015 / 3:52 pm

Im pretty sure that Sainsburys sell Gluten free bourborns in their free from section! I know they do in my local Sainsburys. They are in a yellow and blue packacking. to be honest they weren’t the same and were really crumbly but they were okay!

• October 5, 2015 / 8:19 pm

Hi thanks for reading my post and your kind suggestion. I just had a look on the Sainsbury’s website I can only find Schar and these contain milk, never mind. Thanks again C 😊.

3. October 5, 2015 / 12:21 pm

For what it’s worth, in the 10ish years that the US has been using the “may contain…” language on the labels, I have not had a single reaction to a product. My only adverse reaction to a product like that was a few years before they started labeling that the factory uses those other ingredients.

• October 5, 2015 / 8:14 pm

Thank you for stopping by and reading my post. The labelling is becoming much better now in the UK.

• October 5, 2015 / 8:09 pm

Thank you for the link. I keep meaning to visit when I pop into London. I didn’t think about looking for biscuits I will take a look 😊.

4. October 5, 2015 / 8:13 pm

It’s really tricky isn’t it? Everyone has been recommending Asda bourbons as dairy free to me lately – but the ones I looked at stated ‘not suitable for milk allergy sufferers’ I’m thinking of trying to make my own… Although that may be taking it too far!

• October 6, 2015 / 5:22 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I hope you find some bourbons soon. Good luck making the biscuits. I would love to know how they turn out.